Quick Links to Info on This Article
What Is Acid Reflux Disease?
At the entrance to your stomach is a valve, which is a ring of muscle called the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). Normally, the LES closes as soon as food passes through it. If the LES doesn’t close all the way or if it opens too often, acid produced by your stomach can move up into your esophagus. This can cause symptoms such as a burning chest pain called heartburn. If acid reflux symptoms happen more than twice a week, you have acid reflux disease, also known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). 
What causes GORD (reflux)?
It’s not always clear why the LOS becomes weakened, but it’s more likely to happen in people:
- who are overweight or obese
- who consume lots of fatty foods, because the stomach takes longer to dispose of stomach acids after digesting a fatty meal
- who consume substances which may relax the LOS such as tobacco, alcohol, coffee or chocolate
- who are pregnant, due to changes in hormone levels which can relax the LOS, as well as the increased pressure on the stomach during pregnancy
- with a hiatus hernia, where part of your stomach pushes up through your diaphragm (the sheet of muscle which separates the abdomen from the chest)
- with a condition called gastroparesis (fairly common in people with diabetes) where the stomach takes longer to dispose of stomach acid
- who are feeling stressed.
Symptoms of acid reflux include:
A burning sensation in the throat
Narrowing of esophagus
Chronic sore throat
9 Natural Tricks To Destroy Acid Reflux
Heartburn is thought to be caused by excessive amounts of acid in the stomach, but this is a MISCONCEPTION.
Drugs used to treat acid reflux only temporarily treat SYMPTOMS but do nothing to solve the underlying PROBLEM.
They can actually make the problem WORSE in the long run.
If you really want to get rid of heartburn – you must RESTORE your natural gastric balance and function. You can almost always do this naturally, without the help of medications or chemicals. The following are just a few ways to relieve and/or eliminate symptoms of acid reflux:
- Eat Unprocessed Foods
- Fermented Foods
Love it? Pin it to your HEALTH board to SAVE it!